June 25 Meeting with Leslie
Posted by Editor on June 28, 2009
About 25 friends, grads and alums enjoyed hearing from and sharing with Leslie Thursday eve at the College of Medicine-Phoenix. Leslie boosted the spirits of those in attendance, providing many hints for career next steps, including:
- Always carry a business card; you never know who you will meet! Some sources for inexpensive and free cards: http://www.overnightprints.com/ and http://www.vistaprint.com/
- Be prepared to quickly answer that question, “what are you doing?” with a positive response.
- Keep your resume current and appealing, including internships, volunteer and other work. Modify your resume for each position you seek.
- Maintain your e-portfolio on SIRLS, or create one of your own, showing your updated resume/CV.
- Use temporary agencies!
- Before you apply for that perfect job, KNOW the organization and library inside and out; talk to colleagues.
- Network, network, network!
- During the interview, do your own interview of the person and organization!
- Consider jobs in related organizations, e.g., library vendors, museums, not for profits, etc. LIS skills have many applications.
- Take advantage of CE opportunities in the field you aim for.
- Consider more education, e.g., the SIRLS DigIn program: http://digin.arizona.edu/
- Offer to volunteer for organizations you know need library services, e.g., hospitals and clinics
- Follow all job posting sites; Leslie likes http://www.lisjobs.com/ and SLA’s site
- Join related groups, e. g., CABL and SLA
- Follow up interview thank you notes with a request for advice and wisdom.
Much group wisdom was shared among those present as well.
Leslie also updated us to SIRLS’ current status, which excellent. They are hiring new faculty and seeking a new dean. She encouraged all to investigate financial aid. Visit: http://sirls.arizona.edu/program/admissions/financial
Leslie’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
THOSE OF YOU WHO ATTENDED, PLEASE ADD YOUR COMMENTS AND NOTES FROM OUR SESSION!